Form submitted successfully, thank you.

Error submitting form, please try again.

Our birth story

April 4, 2012. Annie’s birth story. It’s a simple one. It’s a quick one. 4 hours 23 minutes total.  It was a Wednesday morning.  I had been having contractions for several days with some really big ones the day and night before.  One big mama contraction woke me up at 4:30 a.m. and then my water broke at 4:55 a.m. Thirty minutes later we woke up Ezra and headed out the door. We dropped him off at the Speeds house at 5:45 a.m. and walked into the hospital at 6:00 a.m.   It was the middle of a shift change for the nurses.  And they were rolling out a new computer system at 7:00 a.m., the first in ten years.  So things were a little crazy and chaotic.  I was READY for that epidural.   I felt like a crazy woman demanding it the second I walked in the door but they were definitely the extremely painful kind of contractions that make me cringe just even thinking back on it.   The nurses assured me an epidural wasn’t happening anytime soon due to all the questions we had to answer and the blood work that had to be drawn and sent to the lab.  The new computer system came unexpectedly early at 6:20 a.m. so I think that slowed things down even more. Those contractions were the most incredibly painful thing I have ever experienced. My hat is off to women who have gone through natural childbirth without an epidural.  At 7:00 a.m. I was about 6.5 cm dilated.  Still no epidural but the anesthesiologist finally made it to the room.   After two attempts (and a second anesthesiologist) I had an epidural.  My rockstar doctor came in about 8:15 a.m.  She told me I would be ready to go in about 30 minutes.   Later I found out I could have gone then but she waited to let the epidural kick in.   (Thank you Dr. Bradford!)  A short time after that the epidural was working and everything was good. Epidurals are pretty darn amazing. At 9:05 a.m. my doctor came back to us.  And after about 10 minutes of pushing we met our sweet baby girl. Our Annie. She was born at 9:18 a.m. She was perfect. We spent 2.5 days at the hospital and came home on a Friday. It was a really good experience and I am grateful to have had so many people looking out for and helping us make it all a smooth and very sweet few days. Many thanks must be shared…First and most important thank you to my husband for supporting me throughout this entire adventure. I couldn’t have done it without him. Not only the labor and delivery but for the past nine months. He has been wonderful. I have the BEST husband in the world. Thank you to Jessica & David Speed for taking Ezra in a 5:45 a.m. that day. We know it was early! Thank you to Nanna for driving in from Arkansas to watch Ezra for the days we were at the hospital. Thank you to both Nanna & Pop for watching Ezra for an entire week in Arkansas. We were able to spend six full days to ourselves getting to know this baby girl. And we know Ezra had a blast spending so much time with you. Thank you to Jason for bringing us lunch the day we had Annie. My first turkey sandwich in nine months. Delish! Thank you to Mary Bess for bringing us dinner our first night at the hopsital. Delish too! Thank you to Nanna & Ezra, Mary Bess, Mimi, and Shana & Randall for the sweet visits while we were in the hopsital. Thank you to the wondeful people at Cantey Hanger, all my fellow FWISD Librarians, Robin & Jeff, and Duchess for the all the beautiful flowers you sent. Thank you to my doctor (have I mentioned she’s AWESOME) and the wonderful nurses at Harris downtown who took care of us. And thank you to all our incredible family and friends who sent their thoughts, prayers, congratulations, and kind words and wishes to us for our new baby girl. We are incredibly grateful and blessed.

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *